Stop by our Royal Oak showroom today to change your nights.
Beauty Sleep: What the Science Says
The Daily Doze
Have you been getting your beauty sleep?
When we don’t look our best, people may comment, ‘You look tired’ or ‘Didn’t get any shut-eye last night?’ There are long-term physical and mental effects of poor sleep – it contributes to mood, immunity, metabolism and other health issues – but looking a bit rough the next day is something most of us can relate to.
Have you ever woken up tired with dark circles under your eyes, acne breakouts, or maybe your skin looks blotchy and pale?
It’s not a coincidence – sleep quality and quantity is a crucial aspect of wellness and beauty! Sleeping well is one proven (and free!) way to look and feel more attractive and healthy.
Benefits of Beauty Sleep
It turns out, getting your beauty sleep isn’t just a vain cliché – there is some scientific truth behind it. The skin – our largest organ – follows a circadian rhythm just like the rest of the body, and needs time to heal itself. Adequate sleep ensures hormonal balance, promotes DNA repair, and reduces inflammation.
Other benefits include:
- Fewer Wrinkles and Age Spots
When you sleep, blood flow to the epidermis is promoted, allowing your skin to rebuild and produce new collagen. This process helps prevent signs of aging, including fine lines, sagging skin and wrinkles.
- Glowing and Radiant Skin
Sleep health is directly correlated to skin’s health. The skin is exposed to daily stressors, and good night’s sleep encourages healthy blood flow, so the skin can be rejuvenated and even-toned when you wake up.
- Brighter and De-Puffed Eyes
Do you have swollen eyelids or dark undereye circles? Get rid of those signs of being tired and stressed – by being more well-rested and relaxed.
- Self-Esteem and Self-ConfidenceLet’s not forget about that glow of beauty from within. How you feel about yourself dramatically affects your overall appearance and confidence. This is related to sleep, too! Chronic lack of sleep adversely affects your satisfaction and self-esteem. A good night’s sleep, on the other hand, improves mood, memory, and immunity. Feeling great on the inside will shine out for the rest of the world to see.
Also Read: Sleep and Stress: What’s the Connection?
Tips to Optimizing Beauty Sleep
- Get an adequate amount of sleep. To see the benefits, in terms of rejuvenation and repair, 7 to 9 hours of sleep is recommended.
- Wash your face before you hit the sack. Going to bed without removing your makeup is a mortal sin in skincare! Invest in skincare products – start with a night cream – to support the repair process through the night.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Unwind, meditate, and switch off all distractions and work-related stuff at least 2 hours before bedtime. You want to have a sleep environment that promotes sleepiness – so have your room at a comfortable temperature, avoid bright lighting, and play soothing music.
- Try elevating your head. Sleep with a few pillows to promote blood flow and reduce the appearance of dark circles and swollen eyes.
- Sleep on your back or use special sheets and pillowcases. Silk bedding is the best – gentle on your face, hair and body. Change your sheets once a week to avoid breakouts caused by bacteria.
- Invest in a sleep surface that promotes deep and restorative sleep. MajesticBeds mattress provides the right comfort and support to get you snoozing in no time!
Also Read: Ultimate Gift Guide for Sleep Lovers
Knowledge is power: it’s important to educate yourself and to prioritize sleep. Check out our blog to know more about rest:
- Old Wives’ Tales About Sleep: Myth or Fact?
- Do Sleep Problems Run in the Family?
- How Sleep Affects your Mental Health
Better sleep means a better life. To get the latest information on sleep and related news, click the button to get notified about new blog updates!
Sign Up for Exclusives and Updates
Invest in rest. A better sleep means a better life. To get the latest information on sleep science and other interesting info, click below to get notified about new blog updates!
Note: Some posts contain affiliate links and Majestic Beds may earn a commission if you click through and buy something from a third party retailer.